Pages

Tuesday 21 June 2011

Thing 1!

This is my first post for cpd23 so hello any fellow library and info folk!

I've never blogged before, which is one of the reasons I'm taking part in cpd23. I've always felt a bit ambivalent about writing a library blog; it feels like there are already several million out there already and, frankly, I didn't think the world/the internets needed another. Especially not one written by me!

I'd not actually considered blogging as a tool for professional development until Helen Murphy's presentation about cpd23 at the recent New Professionals Conference - weird considering I once spent a whole year reshelving books on reflective practice... knowledge is absorbed directly through the hands, right? Anyway, once I'd started viewing it that way, my innate self-interest kicked in and I thought 'Yes! I must take part in exciting communal blogging/professional development process!'

Selfishness aside (temporarily, muhaha), I'm looking forward to reading and learning from other people's blogs. The fact that I've already been able to spend an hour or so roaming around other cpd23 posts has really helped me get started with this vaguely frightening first post business: there's a sense of anonymity in crowds that I find reassuring. Like a zebra.

In terms of the upcoming Things, I'm looking forward to 8 and 9; my time management could be better and if this can be achieved by playing around with fun apps then I'm a happy lady. I'm not so much looking forward to Thing 15 as I have slightly antisocial leanings but hey, I'm sure it'll be good for me to make an effort to talk to library people I don't already know. Eep!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saw your tweet about the first post...I had similar feelings about the number of library blogs in the world, but I think this might actually be fun!

Laura Steel said...

Found your blog on the cpd23 Delicious bookmark list. Love your blog title! Also your reference to Socially Awkward Penguin - I can identify with that!

Anonymous said...

You had me at Socially Awkward Penguin. My spirit animal is currently a rather disgruntled and disheveled hamster. This may change.

Mara Lina said...

Nice design! I love the little monster guy at the top and I am also a fan of your "About Me" description. I am officially stalking (well, following) your blog. Cheers!

Jill Hazard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill Hazard said...

Hi,
I'm also doing cpd23 and followed a link to your blog from twitter. Really like the blog (made me giggle) and looking forward to your future posts.

Anonymous said...

noooo....i've posted a great comment two days ago (during my Thing 2) but it doesn't appear (and I don't remember the content).
So, now, I could only say that your funny theme seems not has a quick link to rss feed, and I need it to follow your update :)
Anyway, here it is: http://zomglibrarythings.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Anonymous said...

I was also drawn in by the socially awkward penguin. Looks like you're off to a good start, and the best of luck to you.

-Jo